Los Angeles InDesign User Group
InDesign for eReader, Mobile and Tablet Publishing
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Los Angeles Valley College
5800 Fulton Avenue, Monarch Hall/Campus Center, Room CC206, Van Nuys, California 91401
Your User Group Comes to the Valley
Continuing the policy of holding meetings in various locations throughout the southland, this meeting will be held in Van Nuys. With a 7 p.m. start time, and renown expert Kelly McCathran, who runs the Adobe Creative Suite Lovers User Group San Francisco, making a trip to Los Angeles especially to meet with us, we are expecting an exceptional turnout.
This Month’s Topic: InDesign for eReader, Mobile and Tablet Publishing
InDesign has added many tools over the years to deliver your files to more than just the print medium. In this session we will cover creating ePub files from InDesign CS5.5 (and earlier). You will see how to control the display of content for eReading devices by relinking your InDesign styles to CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). In addition we will review the differences in adding dynamic content for delivery as Flash (swf) and PDF.
What you will learn:
• File Types for Different eReaders
• Exporting to ePub
• Creating CSS (in Dreamweaver)
• Re-Linking InDesign Styles to CSS
• Understanding if Dynamic PDF is an Option
• When Can you Use Flash (swf)
• How Do you Test on Different Devices
• Power User Tips and Tricks
About the Presenter
Kelly McCathran, founder of onlineinstruct.com, has been teaching Adobe applications since 1992 and computer classes since 1989. She is a Certified Technical Trainer+ and an Adobe Certified Instructor in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and PageMaker. She has traveled North America, and abroad, teaching applications to the largest print shops and ad agencies in the world. Kelly is also an Adobe Community Expert on Acrobat X, an Adobe Service Provider Evangelist, a video instructor at video2brain.com, has done Adobe Press Videos on Photoshop CS5 & Flash CS5 & CS5.5, is a Tech Editor at Peachpit Press.
7:00 p.m. - Meet and greet
7:30 p.m. - Welcome and announcements
7:45 p.m. - Presentation (with mid-presentation break)
9:45 p.m. - Raffles
10:00 p.m. - Goodbyes
Parking is plentiful and free. Enter the College on Campus Drive and go all the way until you hit a metal barrier. Park in any space, go around the side of that building (Monarch Hall/Campus Center) and take the elevator to the second floor, room CC206.
• SOFTWARE: Adobe CS5.5 product (InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Flash Professional, Dreamweaver or Flash Catalyst) Value to $699
• HARDWARE: Acer 23" wide-screen LCD monitor, model G235H. Value $409
• SOFTWARE: Markzware product (Q2ID plugin, Corrupt InDesign File Recovery Service, Quark to InDesign File Conversion Service, PageZephyr, FlightCheck or PUB2ID) Value to $399
• TRAINING COURSE: Creating eBooks with Adobe InDesign CS4 and CS5, an InDesign online course from video2brain.com. Value $50
• PUBLICATION: InDesign Magazine. Value $69
• BOOK: "You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story!" by Richard Schickel. Value $29.98
• TRAINING COURSE: Getting Started Making eBooks with InDesign, an InDesign online course from video2brain.com. Value $25
• and more!
Adobe InDesign Magazine
Special thanks to Dan Watanabe, Director of the Entertainment Industry Training Collaborative, for making it possible to meet at Los Angeles Valley College. Also shouts to Casey Bernay of the Art Director’s Guild who referred us to Dan and to Terri Stone of InDesign Magazine who referred us to Kelly.